Stephen King's IT (1986) Novel Review

     I mentioned in my review of The Exorcist novel that I had started reading Stephen King’s novel IT at one time, but many of the details tested my patience on becoming interested in reading any further… granted I was a lot younger when I attempted this in my Grade 10 year.  I wanted to release a review of the book before the new film comes out but as I am emotionally invested with my husband and my wonderful circle of friends, I simply am short of time right now.  My older sister and I rented the 2-part VHS version of the TV mini-series many times as children.  I also recall scaring the crap out of her BFF when she watched it in our creepy unfinished basement with her!  I slowly walked into the basement without them noticing and yelled on top of my lungs during one of the scary scenes. 😈

     In celebration of the new upcoming adaptation of Stephen King’s masterpiece, I have allowed a 10th grade high school student I met in a Stephen King’s IT discussion group on Facebook to share his review of the novel who seemingly beat my grade 10 past self to the punch!   Justin Eaton is from Hanover, Pennsylvania and has graced us with his wonderful review, edited by myself.  I now present to you a review of Stephen King's novel IT:





    I was a preteen when I asked my parents to let me watch horror movies.  Until then the most horrific thing I had seen was Monster House.  Lucky for me they reluctantly agreed but the first movie they decided to show me was… awful.  Stupid, cheesy and an absolute snooze-fest so they decided to step it up and show me something that scared them as teenagers, the Stephen King’s IT mini-series…  I laughed through the whole thing and found it quite amusing!  It was an awful adaptation to the book.  Yes, it is a classic piece which many people know and love, myself included... but as an adaptation it was lacking many details that could not be captured.  The essence of what IT really is, is not even partially grasped in it.  IT spends most of it’s time disguised as Pennywise with only a few other aliases thrown into the mix...  The novel does a far better job at capturing the character of IT and thoroughly describing the horror that IT has induced.

    Not even a year later, my dad let me into his private collection to read a few of King’s many novels and I decided it was time to give IT a try.  I was in 7th grade and I only took it as a scary clown story... but it still gave me a whole new perspective on Pennywise the Dancing Clown!  I recommend watching the mini-series first so that you can read the book and really focus on the small details.  The first incredibly notable thing about this book is that it is gigantic.  Clocking in at 1,138 pages, this book is not going to be a quick read.  Okay, that’s a lie… Over 1,000 pages may seem daunting but I promise you that IT will be a breeze because once you’ve been sucked in it will be finished in no time, it will be over before you know it because you won’t want it to end!  The novel drags on at some points by throwing many details which simply do not matter, but the majority of this book is filled with action and beautiful character developments!

    IT tells the story of the kids of Derry, Maine who are being tormented by a clown.  A horror novel about a clown may seem like an incredibly stupid idea, until you realize the antagonist is so much more.  It is your worst nightmare...  it can literally become anything it wants, it is quite literally “IT”.  Seven kids who deem themselves The Losers Club, take it upon themselves to destroy IT once and for all which leads to many brilliantly written encounters with IT and an action-packed final battle.  It’s not a surprise nor a spoiler that IT does not die the first time...  The whole book bounces back and forth between the children’s narrative and the adult’s narrative.  This is one of the many reasons why the book is so good, as the story changes you get sucked in and feel compelled to keep reading!

     Interestingly enough, for a book that seems like it should be simply a horror novel, the whole book is one big metaphor of abuse.  The children of The Losers’ Club have all experienced some kind of abuse altogether, however in their minds it has been represented within their battle with Pennywise the Dancing Clown.  In the end, they believe they have defeated him and that the abuse will come to an end but they are sorely mistaken...  After leaving Derry, each of them carry a piece of their abuse with them and eventually they are forced to come to terms with reality and face IT again!  However this time they are without their childhood powers...  Not true powers, but powers within their minds which they used to block out horrible events and see them as something else to protect their precious minds.  As adults they can no longer do this, thus they are much weaker, whilst some of them are unable to deal with the memories altogether...

    While the mini-series makes Pennywise appear very comical even when he’s murdering someone and severely lacks the character development that the novel possesses...  It also lacks several key scenes in the book that could not have been adapted for TV.  However, generally the biggest complaint about this book is towards the end of the childhood Losers’ journey when they get lost in the sewers.  It is agonizingly painful to read through as the kids get lost in the sewers and the only girl in the group decides to have sex with each of the seven boys.  A ritual that will clear their minds and lead them out of the sewers.  While I see it as just sex and just a part of life, that’s not the case when they’re 11 years old!  I’m not going to lie... this part is downright disturbing and while it’s a fairly important transition of showing the kids’ innocence lost, then passing the threshold into adulthood, it is written with far too much detail for it to appeal to anyone with a healthy state of mind...

    Overall I would give the book a solid 4.5 out of 5.  It is one of, if not my favorite book of all time!  IT is filled to the brim with beautiful storytelling and amazing character development that truly brings the story to life within you!  Upon reading this book, you will truly feel as though you are alongside with The Losers Club in their adventures.  Through their struggles and triumphs you will feel the feelings they are.  Initially my biggest complaint would have been its massive length but as I have read it three times now, I have realized that most of the story needs to be there.  Were it not, IT would not be what IT is...


⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2



JUSTIN EATON - BIOGRAPHY





Justin Eaton is a 10th grade High School student from Hanover, Pennsylvania.  He enjoys music, horror and books.  His favourite book is Stephen King’s IT, his favourite movie is Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter and his favourite TV show is Haven.  His hobbies are making music, reading books and watching horror movies.  When Justin graduates high school, he wishes to become a musician.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Exorcist (1973) Review

The Exorcist (1971) Novel Review

Are You Afraid of the Dark? "The Tale of the Lonely Ghost" (1992) Review