Sonic Mania Review

     I've mention that during my childhood, one of my most cherished family gifts was our Sega Genesis console.  Mainly we played Sonic games on the downstairs TV in our creepy unfinished basement in a complex of townhouses which were once used for military stay...  Some of them were haunted and some have said a soldier hung himself in one of the basements...  But let's talk about SONIC!  hehehe

     Sonic the Hedgehog is one of retro-gaming's most treasured characters of all time.  There have been many Sonic games in the past but the most memorable games were always the 2d side-scrollers on the Sega Genesis.  Sonic Mania brings us back to those roots of the Sonic games.

     I would like to firstly mention that I was not impressed with the opening of the game for one specific reason.  When we played Sonic CD, you started the game and got to see the beginning cut-scene as part of the game...  However on Sonic Mania you have to wait til the start screen fully plays to watch the opening scene whereas normally you's get to see a demo rather than an opening scene.  I felt that the opening scene belonged as part of the game, so that's one thing that I was disappointed in initially.




     Nevertheless the opening scene in the game-play, is really cool! We get to see Dr. Robotnik and his minions taking a gem from the land and the gem time-warps everyone back to the first level of the original Sonic the Hedgehog game.



     The best part of this, is that you can actually use the spindash!  Whereas when you played this level in the original game, the spindash hadn't been created yet...  All levels from the past original 2d games have been remixed in different ways, giving our familiar blue hedgehog new capabilities and even having to beat new or old bosses with new capabilities at the end of each stage! Even the music is remixed!



     While classic zones from 2d Sonic games, like Chemical Plant, Stardust Speedway, and Lava Reef are included, we also get some new areas like Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon. The new levels are even more beautiful and vibrant than the remixed levels with way cool animations!  Studiopolis is like a huge TV studio in a big city! While there are many new tricks Sonic uses in the level, I particularly liked the popcorn animations!



     Sonic the Hedgehog 2’s Chemical Plant Zone has always been one of my favourite levels and I felt Sonic Mania's version of it was brilliant!  The final boss fight was extremely amusing as well... You have to beat Dr. Robotnik by a familiar bean method...



     The final boss was challenging enough to be a final boss unlike Sonic CD's infamously easy final boss... While Sonic Mania's final boss was still a little bit challenging, I felt that it wasn't so challenging that I wasn't having fun anymore.  It was the perfect balance in my opinion for the final level.  I did experience my share of Game Over's throughout the game, however not all stages should be a breeze. Usually on my 2nd try I beat the level anyway!



     Some things I didn't care for... My first time playing through the game I found it a lot harder to find the large golden coins which take you to the bonus levels to obtain emeralds to become Super Sonic and obtain the true ending. I found two or thee of them and beat only one of those levels.  This was a little more challenging than I had wished, although Super Sonic was always something the hardcore gamers usually obtained... While the Sonic 3 style checkpoint bonus stages only unlocked bonus features in the menu section of the game... Mostly sound test and debug mode BS, but there are also hidden sub-games if you care to play them...

     I probably will replay the stages to become Super Sonic sometime, however if I don't obtain the true ending which you get for obtaining all emeralds, I won't lose sleep over it... The bonus games are a little too easy to fail as you try to catch up to Dr. Robotnik's UFO to catch the emerald.  I fell out of the course and ran out of time mostly.  I suppose I could try to improve my skills, but I'm not necessarily as hardcore as other gamers...

     Sonic also has a new new drop-dash move...  I hardly used it because it really didn't need to be used.  The retro style gaming moves work fine and I often forgot he even had that move because the game felt so much like the old-school sonic games.

     They also have this special technique which I didn't care for because you can hardly see sonic...  Squint your eyes!



     The flaws of the game likely won't stop me from enjoying the game again.  I'll still be able to play through the game if I choose to and feel like I accomplished something even without all emeralds.  The game kept me very entertained and it's a huge success for Sega in my eyes.  I would love to see an improved Sonic Mania 2!  The retro aspect is phenomenal and you can't really go wrong purchasing this game for 20 dollars on the Canadian digital gaming stores.  3.5 out of 5 is a fair rating in my eyes...

⭐⭐⭐1/2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Exorcist (1973) Review

The Exorcist (1971) Novel Review

Are You Afraid of the Dark? "The Tale of the Lonely Ghost" (1992) Review